Thursday, September 24, 2009

PROFESSIONAL STUDENTS


Back about the time
you were born (If you
were born late enough.)
I became acquainted
with a very interesting
man. [Well, that is one
way of looking at it.]
He was a married man
with teen age children.
If I remember his wife correctly, he had been going to
school for twenty six years at that time. He had
several different majors and had studied seven
languages.

He told me that one of his majors had been archaeology.
He said the digging was too hard. So he changed his
major.

Later at a "work day" for some one in the church, or
in the community, I noted something. He sat in a
chair, in the shade, and read, while his family and
every one else worked. Hmmm.
I begin to understand his lack of interest in
archaeology.

I cannot remember any of his other majors. But
later he wanted me to recommend him to the
school of Theology he was applying to. What would
you think? You guessed it. He was what we called a
"Professional Student".

As you know, a few years later when he could no
longer get grants he quit going to school.
After all those years in school, he took a menial job
in a local hospital.

Apparently that did not suit him either. He divorced
his wife and married a tottering old lady with -
M-O-N-E-Y.

Thus I learned what professional students are.
Come with me to church for a few minutes now.
Currently I attend a good church. A small church.
Mostly older folks. But still a good church.
Consider our mid week service. It is a Bible study.
Not a prayer meeting. But a Bible study. Now Bible
study is good and good for you. We all know that.

This Bible study has older, mature Christians attending.
There is one younger fellow. He was "born and
raised" in the church, and is now an aspiring minister.
That puts him a long way from being a new Christian.
But most of us have been Christians from ten to sixty
years.

The Scriptures say,.
"Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of
Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a
foundation of repentance from dead works and of
faith toward God, with instruction about ablutions, the
laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and
eternal judgment." - Hebrews 6:1,2 RSV

Do you know what we are studying, and has a good
attendance?

Biblical Foundations. Repentance, how to be
saved. Water Baptism. The second coming of Jesus etc.
I thought we were supposed to go on the maturity.
Now think with me. I'm sorry. I know thinking hurts.
But please bear with me.

The "Western Church" as we know it is weak, anemic,
powerless. Like a rat that has been living on d-CON
for the past week.
Could it be because we have become "Professional Students".
It it easier to study than to travail in prayer.
It is easier to study that to witness.
It is easier to study than to serve.
It is easier to study than obey.
Have we substituted studying for living and
working for God?

Are we, "Ever learning, and never able to come to
the knowledge of the truth." - 2 Timothy 3:7 KJV
Do we need more knowledge? Or just to apply what
we already know?




1 comment:

Rose said...

I think I must be loosing it. I thought I left a comment about this post. So many would rather study than do practical application. Much easier to read about witnessing than to actually do it.