Friday, February 19, 2016

DIY


DIY
DO IT YOURSELF.

I  am a do it yourself fan.  That is why I have a scrap metal
pile, usable lumber around the shop and boxes full of bolts,
nuts and nails.  It hurts me to have to buy something.

However, so many of the do it yourself articles I see on
the internet make me wonder.  What's the gain?

Let me illustrate with one of my many, many interests.
The lowly worm.  I have raised various types of worms
on and off for over forty years.

All images courtesy of:www.Pixabay.com

Suppose you want to go fishing and need worms for bait.
I do not know what a can of bait cost now.  But I saw
65 worms advertised for $5.99 plus $3.39 shipping.

Not on your life.
Not when I can raise my own worms.
So,
DIY.

We could make a simple 4' X 8' X 12" worm bed for only 
about $60.00 worth of lumber.  And it we want a lid on it,
that would only be about $75.00 more in 1" X 12" lumber.


Then by today's standards we need a lot of peat moss.
[I do not remember every buying any myself.  But that's
the way you are "supposed" to do it.]

Locally I can get 3 cu. ft. of peat moss for only $10.77.
It probably is compacted so we may not need to by the
ten bags to fill our 32 cu. ft. bed.



Or you may choose to do it in a much smaller scale buying one 
of those ready made worm bins.  These can be purchased any 
where from about $30.00 to over $100.00.  Then you might only
need the 8qt. size of peat moss for about $4.77.

Don't forget.  Worms have to eat.  So there is ready made worm
food call "Worm Chow".  A 5lb. bag of this can be had for only
$8.99 plus $5.95 shipping and handling.

Are you getting the point???

That is the way it is with "religion".
All your ceremonies, rites, rituals, forms, sacraments,
programs, titles, grandeur and good works are only 
"Do it yourself" stuff.  And all you will get out of it is 
worms.

Instead,
turn from the way you have been living to God.
Believe him when he said,

"For by grace you have been saved 
through faith, and that not of yourselves;
it is the gift of God, not of works lets
anyone should boast."
(Ephesians 2:8,9 NKJV)

Submit yourself to His control and forget about
all the "Do It Yourself" baloney.
You will be glad you did.

No comments: