Monday, February 17, 2020

FUTILITY OF PLEASURE AND POSSESSIONS




I have been considering the thinking of the 
wisest man that ever lived, king Solomon, in
his writings in the book of Ecclesiastes.

In chapter two he decides to test pleasure and 
possessions and their value in life.  With 
pleasure he ends up saying; "What does it 
accomplish?"

Then he turns to possessions.
Solomon built for himself houses, vineyards,
gardens, ponds and collected silver and gold.
Then he said;
"Thus I considered all my activities which
my hands had done and the labor which I
had exerted, and behold all was vanity and 
striving after wind and there was no profit
under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 2:11 NASB)

We can see the proof of this same thing in 
our own day.  Over the years I have been
amazed at how many wealthy famous people
end up killing themselves.  Were was the 
happiness that was supposed to be there?

Hey guys, catch this one.
"I provided for myself male and female
singers and the pleasures of men - many
concubines." (2:11)
What were many concubines to Solomon?
"He had seven hundred wives, princesses, 
and three hundred concubines, and his
wives turned his heart away."
(1 Kings 11:4 NASB)

That is one thousand women for just one 
man.  A whole town of women for him to
take his pick of.  
But they turned his heart away from God
to his own hurt.

No wonder Solomon was able to say;  
"It is better to live in a desert land
Than with a contentious and vexing
woman." (Proverbs 21:19 NASB)
and;
"It is better to live in a corner of the roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious
woman." (Proverbs 25:24 NASB) 

I do not know about you,
but I think I can learn something from this.





No comments: