Saturday, December 19, 2009

A THOUGHT ON PRAYER


Prayer is breathing
for the Christian.
Without it we cannot
survive. It is the
Christian's life.
For years I have
wanted to be a man
of prayer. Like
everything else, I never made it.
At least to my satisfaction.

Years ago I was reading a book on prayer by a
noted pastor on the west coast. I remember him
saying "that when he set in his chair to pray..."
I thought, no way. Coming before the very God and
creator of the universe. And setting in a chair. No.
The only proper way to come before the King of
Kings, the Lord of Lords, the Potentate of the
universe is prostrated before Him.

Now that I am a older, when I set in my chair
to pray......

Today I was sorting through a few of my books. I
try to keep my books on prayer together as a group.
I have some of the classic books on prayer like
Bounds set and other men of God. And of course a
few of the newer hot shots. No, I have not read all
of them yet. That's so I can always have another to
read, I guess.

As I was sorting I noticed that the pile of books on
prayer was getting larger than several of the other
subjects. And I realized that even with all these
books, I still was not the man of prayer I wanted to
be. There were sixty two books and booklets on
prayer.

Now I'm a simple man. And a very simple thought
came into my mind. With all these books on prayer,
I'm still not the man of prayer I want to be. Wouldn't
I come closer to being a man of prayer by simply
spending more time talking with God?

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

How cleverly delightful! And "yes", it's just that simple. Oh, I know ... the wise ones tell us to "do this", or "do that". But Jesus' formula is still the best! He is the ultimate Simple Man of Prayer and, therefore, our best tutor!

Blessings,
Kathleen