Thursday, March 11, 2010

MULTI-TASKING CHRISTIANS ?


It began several decades ago. Some friends
declared that talking while they work did not
effect their work. So I began to watch.
I noticed that when they were working and talking, they had to begin again and redo
things a lot more than when they were not talking. Maybe it's just in the definition!!!!

Today it has become very popular to "multi-task".
But does it work? Consider an article from the
Los Angeles Times back on July 19, 2004.
"Multi-tasking, for most Americans, has become a
way of life."...

"But researchers peering into the brains of those
engaged in several tasks at once are concluding what
some overworked Americans had begun to suspect:
that multi-tasking, which many have embraced as the
key to success, is instead a formula for shoddy work,
mismanaged time, rote solutions, stress and
forgetfulness. Not to mention car crashes, kitchen
fires, forgotten children, near misses in the skies and
other dangers of inattention."

It comes as no surprise that there are a huge number
of articles about multi-tasking not working, at least
well. Each time we add a task to the one we are doing,
we are distracted to a greater degree from the task at
hand. The solution is obvious. FOCUS.

A couple of quotes from the business world. Their
interest is success in business, or finance. But the
trues apply in the spiritual realm as well.

"The secret of success is focus. It is the one secret
that ties everything together. According to the law
of attraction, what you focus on is what you get."
-Enoch Tan in Dream manifesto.

Terri Zwierzynski in Solo Entrepreneur states,
"O: 'How to stay focused?'
A: One easy way to get and stay focused is to
have less to focus on!"

The girl is right on. It is so obvious it is almost
funny.

What does all of this have to do with living for God?
A Christian wants to get close to God. As it were, to
walk hand in hand with Him through life. (I hope.)
So God tells us how.

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.
Cleanse our hands, ye sinners; and purify your heats,
ye double minded."
-James 4:8 KJV (Emphasis mine.)

See that "double minded". Dear old brother James
Strong tells us that double minded is,
"Two-spirited, i.e. Vacillating (in opinion or purpose)"
Hey. That's multi-tasking. That's unfocused.

The apostle John says's it a little different.
"Love not the world, neither the things that are in
the world. If any man love the world, the love of
the Father is not in him."
-1 John 2:15 KJV

When we have divided interest; money, ambition,
success, enjoyment, toys, honor, entertainment,
more things, fun etc., etc., etc. And trying to live
for God. We are multi-tasking. AND IT DON'T
WORK.

Jesus said,
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his
righteousness;"
-Matthew 6:33 KJV
The apostle Paul was such an outstanding success
in living for and serving God because; his attitude
and example was,
"... but this one thing I do..."
-Philippians 3:13 KJV

Yes, I had to follow Terri's advice. Drop some things
so that there would be less to focus on. I do not need
every thing my little heart or mind desires. I do not
need every comfort or convenience there is. BUT I DO
NEED JESUS.

4 comments:

Rose said...

Luther, this is so true. I find myself going in several directions at once sometimes and something in that mix usually suffers from it....me or one of the tasks, sometimes both. We are fooling ourselves if we think we can divide our time with God and have the kind of relationship HE desires. Thank you for the reminder to slow down and not be so task oriented.

Ella said...

Excellent Post....

It really clarified "focus" for me and takes the pressure off to "Multi-task".
Which I was never really good at anyway lol.
I am kinda of a task at hand kind of person. My mind just does not work that fast.

The simplicity of the scripture you shared is so powerful. Draw near to God, He will draw near to you.

Blessings, Ella

Kathleen said...

What a clever connection!

I had to learn to let go of a LOT of stuff some years back. Funny thing is, I don't miss any of them. I love puttering, be it housework or cooking, and I love challenges too. But no longer do I need to do it all (which, way back, meant to seek acclaim).

Sometimes I'm VERY content when I do absolutely nothing. Rest and quiet in the Lord is such a delight (with ice cream, of course).

Blessings,
Kathleen

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

I clicked over here from another blog, and really enjoyed what you wrote! SO much truth in this... and we are so terribly unfocused so many times, or at least I am! It's almost like 'work' to sit quietly sometimes and open God's word. Again my BE STILL verse... it so applies to me...

Thanks for the good and wise words.

Blessings!

Sonja