Sunday, March 21, 2010

STRETCHING THE GAS


A few years ago I rode one of my motorcycles
out to the west coast to visit with my kids. This
particular motorcycle has only a five gallon gas
tank on it. It's not like that land yacht you drive
around town with a huge gas tank. With only
five gallons you learn to measure out your gas
stops, and often. So I worked on about
one hundred and fifty miles between gas stops.
This gave me a margin of safety.
I left the Ozarks the last day of February. So
it would have been the first day of march that I
was out in west Texas. It was a Sunday afternoon.
In that part of Texas it can be a loooooong way
between towns, and the wind was blowing like
crazy. When I went through Pecos on Hwy 20,
it was so windy I had to lean the bike into the
wind just to stay on the road. Now if you drive
anything other than a golf cart, you know that
can be real hard on gas mileage.

I was getting low on gas. But seeing a sign that
another town was only about fifteen miles or so
ahead, I decided to push on to it. That would
leave me a little extra gas for that real long
stretch coming up.
When I pulled into that little town I found two
gas stations. One was boarded up. The other
was locked up. Ouch.

So I pulled back up onto the Hwy. looking for
a sign to see how far to the next town. Ninety
miles - almost out of gas, and no place to turn
around.

By now I was praying at about the same pace
I was breathing. I needed to go back to Pecos.
But could I make it?

The Lord let me see a small side road that went
back to the last small town. Then He let me find
a place where I could ride on the dirt over to that
small road.

As I was returning on that small road I noticed
something. The sun had come out. AND the wind
had quit blowing. Praise God. So I continued to
ease - as in eeeeease very carefully - back to the
small town and back up onto the return side of
Hwy 20.

All the way back to Pecos the sun shone. There
was absolutely no wind. It made a beautiful
Sunday after noon (but slow) ride, with lot's of
prayer.

The Lord let me get back to Pecos and find a
gas station. While the gas nozzle was in my
tank filling up - the wind returned so hard it
almost blew my bike over just setting there.
Praise God. He even controlled the weather
to help this little old guy.

3 comments:

Rose said...

Luther, God is so awesome. To think he guided you down the right road straight to a gas station. I love it!

Ella said...

Thanks for sharing brother....
Good to be on the King's Highway!
Isa:40:3: The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
Blessings, Ella

Kathleen said...

I grinned throughout the whole of this tale. In my mind's eye I could see you spying out the land for gas.

I've managed to navigate a few of life's roads on fumes myself (on the spiritual level), so I know that desperate feeling.

What an incredible God is He!

Kathleen