Tuesday, July 3, 2012

WHY DON'T I HAVE MORE OF GOD?


WHY DON'T I HAVE MORE OF GOD?
Photo courtesy of www.theponyexpression.com

Why don't I have more of God?
Sonja of bits and pieces... gives us the answer
when she quotes her pastor.

"You have as much of God in your life
as you want."

That should completely upset our little boat as 
we row down life's stream.  The problem is not with God,
but with my "wanter".

God tells us,
"Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.
Cleanse your hands you sinners, and purify your
hearts, you men of double mind."
-James 4:8 (RSV)

And how do we draw near to God?

"But from there you will seek the Lord your God,
and you will find him,
if you search after him with all your heart
and all your soul."
-Deuteronomy 4:29 (RSV)


Photo courtesy of derricklphillips.wordpress

When we long for God as the psalmist did,

"As a deer longs for a stream of cool water,
so I long for you, O God.
I thirst for you, the living God.
When can I go and worship in your presence?"
-Psalms 42:1,2 (GNB)

and

"O God, you are my God,
and I long for you.
My whole being desires you;
like a dry worn-out, and waterless land,
my soul is thirsty for you."
-Psalms 63:1 (GNB)

Or the apostle Paul,

"I reckon everything as a complete loss for the sake
of what is so much more valuable, the knowledge of 
Christ Jesus my Lord.
For his sake I have thrown everything away;
I consider it all as mere garbage,
so that I may gain Christ and be completely
united with him."
- Philippians 3:8,9 (GNB)

Photo courtesy of lakishacollins.blogspot.com

When I want God more than anything else,
then I will have all of God I want.


1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Truth is always just that simple, isn't it?!! Powerful & timely post.