Wednesday, March 6, 2019

A LIFE OF FUTILITY

Image courtesy of: www.Pixabay.com  



A LIFE OF FUTILITY


 Have you ever felt that life was futile?
You know, a deadening routine.  Get up in the 
morning.  Go to work and come home tired
and go to bed.  Get up the next morning and 
go to work.  Come home tired and go to bed.
Get up the next morning...... you know the 
routine.


Solomon the wisest man that ever lived on 
the face of the earth observed this futility. 
This man accomplish or acquired everything
most of us could ever want or dream of.
Look at what he had to say about all the 
goods and accomplishments of his life.
 

"I said to myself, 'Come on, let's try pleasure,
Let's look for the 'good things' in life.'  But I
found that this too, was meaningless.  So I said,
Laughter is silly.  What good does it do to seek
pleasure?' After much thought, I decided to
cheer myself with wine.  And while still seeking
wisdom.  I clutched at foolishness.  In this way
I tried to experience the only happiness most
people find during their brief life in this world.
I also tried to find meaning by building
huge homes for myself and by planting beauty-
ful vineyards.  I made gardens and parks, fill-
ing them with all kinds of fruit trees.  I built
reservoirs to collect the water to irrigate my
many flourishing groves.  I bought slaves, both
men and women, and others were born into my
household.  I also owned large herds and flocks,
more than any of the kings who had lived in
Jerusalem before me.  I collected great sums
of silver and gold, the treasure of many kings.
and provinces.  I hired wonderful singers, both
men and women, and had many beautiful con-
cubines.  I had everything a man could desire!
So I became greater than all who had lived
in Jerusalem before me, and my wisdom never
failed me.  Anything I wanted, I would take,
I denied myself no pleasure.  I even found
great pleasure in hard work, a reward for all
my labors.  But as I looked at everything I
had worked so hard to accomplish, it was all
so meaningless - like chasing the wind.  There
was nothing really worthwhile anywhere."
(Ecclesiastes 2:1-11 NLT)
   

So, what is the use?
He ends his writing with this advice.

"That's the whole story.  Here now is my final
conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands,
for this is everyone's duty, God will judge us
for everything we do, including every secret
thing, whether good or bad."  
(Ecclesiastes 12:13 NLT)


Then Jesus Christ said it another way.

"Beware! Guard against every form of greed.
Life is not measured by how much you own.
(Luke 12:15 NLT) 

Also;

"And what do you benefit if you gain the whole
world but lose your own soul?  Is anything
worth more than your soul?"  
(Matthew 16:26 NLT)

Then, God through the Apostle Pauls said;

"After all, we brought nothing with us
when we came into the world, and we
can't take anything with us when we
leave it." 
(1 Timothy 6:7 NLT)


Of course, you can waste your life anyway
you want.  You can chase after fame, fortune
and pleasure if you want.  But, you will loose
it all.


But, as for myself I choose to chase after or
serve Jesus Christ the vary creator of the universe
so that when I depart this life I can live  with him
forever.












No comments: