Friday, June 15, 2012

DISCIPLES VS. BELIEVERS

DISCIPLES VS. BELIEVERS

Are not all believers in Christ, disciples of Christ?
It seems most "Christians" think so.

But consider a few definitions.

Let's start with dear old brother James Strong.
You know, who compiled 
Strong's
Exhaustive
Concordance 
Of The Bible.

Now this is all Greek to me, but he says:
"believers" is from the Greek word "pisteuo".
His number 4100 and it means,
"to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to,
a person or thing)"

Then he has the nerve to say that,
"disciple" his number 3101, is from the Greek word "mathetes".
which means,
"a learner, i.e. pupil; - disciple."

To put it in good old Ozark,
"believer" is one who believes in or has faith in Christ.
And,
a "disciple" is one who learns from and emulates
Christ.

The Bible says,
"So Jesus said to those who believed in him,
'If you obey my teaching, you are really my disciples;
you will know the truth, 
and the truth will set you free.'"
-John 8:31 (GNB)


Photo courtesy of www.atotheword.com

Now consider the call of the disciples.

Peter, James and John.
"They pulled the boats up on the beach,
left everything, and followed Jesus."
-Luke 5:11 (GNB)

And Levi.
"Levi got up, left everything,
and followed him."
-Luke 5:28 (GNB)

And consider Jesus' example.
"Jesus answered him,
'Foxes have holes, and birds have nests,
but the Son of Man has no place to lie down and rest.'"
Matthew 8:20 (GNB)

OUCH!

Photo courtesy of hatice6.bloguez.com

Consider the teaching of Jesus.

"Those who love their father or mother
more than me are not fit to be my disciples;
those who love their son or daughter more than me
are not fit to be my disciples.
Those who do not take up their cross and follow
in my steps are not fit to be my disciples."
Matthew 10:37,38 (GNB)

"Jesus said to him, 'If you want to be perfect,
go and sell all you have and give the money
to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven;
then come and follow me.'"
-Matthew 19:21 (GNB) 

"Do not be afraid, little flock,
for your Father is pleased to give you the Kingdom.
Sell all your belongings and give the money to the poor.
Provide for yourselves purses that don't wear out,
and save your riches in heaven, where they
will never decrease, because no thief can get to them,
and no moth can destroy them.  
For your heart will always be where your riches are."
Luke 12:32-34 (GNB)

And.
"In the same way,' concluded Jesus,
"none of you can be my disciple unless you give up
everything you have."
Luke 14:33 

NOTE: This was before the era of
the prosperity preachers.
Who or what changed?


Photo courtesy of www.bigapplecomstum


Do You know any "disciples"?
I don't, but have read of a few.

As for me,
I'm just a believer who learns very slowly.

1 comment:

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

There are a lot of'ouches' in those scriptures! And I often think of 'the son of God having no place to lay his head'... makes me ashamed and sad, and jerks me up by the bootstraps to be more!

Good one Luther!