Friday, June 8, 2012

GOD'S TONIC


GOD'S TONIC

"tonic n. ...
b: something that invigorates, restores,
refreshes, or stimulates"
-Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary


 Photo courtesy of dougleschan.com

The last time I read through the book of Judges
something stood out to me.

At least two times the entire nation of Israelites
"sat before the Lord".
See Judges 20:26 & 21:2

And we know about king David sitting
before the Lord in 2 Samuel 7:18

And of course Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus
in Luke 10:39

And we all know the Scripture that says,
"but they who wait for the Lord
shall renew their strength,"
-Isaiah 40:31 (RSV)

Yes, I have read the various definitions of
waiting on the Lord.
But do you suppose that waiting and sitting
before or on the Lord might be close to
the same thing?

You know, wait as in "wait...
1 a: to remain stationary in readiness or expectation...
b: to pause for another to catch up."
-Webster
or,
"It is good that one should wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord."
-Lamentations 3:26 (RSV)

It seems that our definition of wait is,
"Do other things while we are waiting 
for the Lord."

 Photo courtesy of harmonybis.wordpress.com

Below I have included some random quotes or 
comments from or about that old exemplary
saint Andrew Murray.  These have been taken
from the book,
Andrew Murray one of God's choice saints
by W.M. Douglas

These have been an encouragement to me in
spending time with God.

 Photo courtesy of www.123rt.com

"The quiet, contemplative life led to a deeper,
truer knowledge of God..."
-p. 110

"but above all, it was prayer and quiet waiting
upon God that gave him the confidence to step
out in faith on this new venture."
-p. 126

 Photo courtesy of liveaction.com

"I think in the present day there is not enough
retirement to seek teaching from above,
there is too much human teaching."
-p. 154

"And it is in secret that we must begin to give
ourselves to the power and working of the Holy
Ghost.  What we need are two things.
The one, faith that He is in us,
and will do a Divine work in teaching
and sanctifying us.
The other, is quiet waiting to realize
His presence, to hush our own thoughts,
and to crush all our natural activity, 
so as to give Him time and opportunity 
to take possession, and become
the new principle in our lives."
-p. 160

 Photo courtesy of www.pollsb.com

"It was during this time of trial he learned the value
of silence, as practised by the Friends (Quakers)
which counteracts one of the central weakness
of Protestantism"
-p. 181

"When not writing he spent much time on the broad
stoep (verandah) in front of his study.
There he would sit and pray and meditate."
-p. 234

Photo courtesy of tracyhurst.com

"How I love your law!
I think about it all day long.
Your commandment is with me
all the time
and makes me wiser than my enemies.
I understand more than 
all my teachers,
because I meditate on your instructions.
I have greater wisdom than 
those who are old, 
because I obey your commands.
I have avoided all evil conduct,
because I want to obey your word.
I have not neglected your instructions,
because you yourself are my teacher.
How sweet is the taste of your instructions -
sweeter even than honey!
I gain wisdom from your laws,
and so I hate all bad conduct.
Your word is a lamp to guide me
and a light for my path."
-Psalms 119:97-105 (GNB)

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Wow. What a collection! This is such a confirmation & comfort to me, Luther. The past two years have been a huge waiting period in my life. Sometimes I wonder if I ought to DO something, but ever & always I feel God's restraining hand. Wait means wait. How wonderful!

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

I really enjoyed this Luther. Andrew Murray was one of my dad's favorites. Tht period of waiting and quiet is so valuable, but it sure doesn't come natuarlly for me. I am a 'doer', and want to get moving and go forward. I have seen the value though, of being still and waiting. God teaches in those times, even when I feel I need to get going. He is never in a rush... and yet gets it all done on time. :)