Monday, June 4, 2012

WHAT'S THE POINT?

Photo courtesy of adailygoodthing.com

One Sunday
the pastor was out of state holding meetings.  That's a good thing.
The pulpit was filled (Is that the proper way to say it?) by one of the other ministers.
That's a good thing.

I don't remember the way he said it, but this brother had something that was bubbling up in him.  Something that was burning.  Something that would not let go, and he was wanting to share it with us.

Now that is a great thing.
Bring it on brother, I was in need of something from the Lord.

What was it?

I DO NOT KNOW.

The sermon must have been a good one.  I did not go to sleep.
The sermon filled about the normal amount of time, or a little more.
Plenty of time to get a point across.

But at the end of the sermon, I did not know what the point of the sermon was.

The next day (Monday)
early in the morning while mulling the sermon over in my mind - I still did not know the point of the sermon.

My point.
I strongly suspect that the reason was,
the point of the sermon was buried under an avalanche of words.

You know, like too much water for one tea bag.
The tea is diluted to the point you cannot tell what the flavor is.



Photo courtesy of www.dmcoffee.com


"Think before you speak, 
and don't make any rash promises to God.
He is in heaven and you are on earth,
so don't say any more than you have to."
-Ecclesiastes 5:2 (GNB)


"The more you talk, the more likely you are to sin.
If you are wise, you will keep quiet."
-Proverbs 10:19 (GNB)




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh... Yep - yep.

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

I've heard some of those sermons Luther... walked out without a clue! Thankfully I've also hears=d some incredible words preached, that linger long after the words were spoken, and I'm sure you have too.

Too many words... I know I've been guilty of the same many times. It's always good to say less and mean it more. :)

Kathleen said...

Verbosity & rabbit trails: two companions that often derail anything sensical. It's why I've selected Psalm 19:14 as a life verse. Words have an awful lot to say about the contents of one's thoughts & heart.

Good points!