Friday, May 19, 2017

JUST TALK



Many years ago I had one of those old Dodge Power
Wagons.  The thing was a good old solid truck.  It 
was like nothing could stop it.  But, it sure could 
drink the gas.  So, I bought a newer small pickup.  
It has served me very well also.

Being the old thing it was, I just gave the old Dodge 
to a man who lived back on one of the dirt roads 
in our area.

He was happy and proud of it.  And I was glad
someone could use it.  In fact, for a while he 
used it to drive back to the fishing holes and
ponds in the area for fishing.  Then he parked
it.  That was O.K.  It was his.

For years he kept telling me what he was going
to do with it.  BUT, it just sat there.

I think it was last year he came to my house 
to tell me what as great "hot rod" he was going
to make out of it.  "O.K.  Fine, it's yours."

Believe it or not, he got it running again
driving it up and down the road for about
a week.  Also someone took a spray can
and painted some of it with primer.  I guess
that was what made it a "hot rod".

But, I see it has gone back to just setting.
Talk.  It is (was) all just talk.

So much like many people today.  They
talk about all the great things they are 
going to do.  But years pass, and nothing
happens.  It's just talk.

That is the way it is in the "Spiritual"
world too.  Some start off with a "bang".
Then - that's it.

Jesus tells us about some that way.  They
hear the word of God:

"And these in like manner are the ones
sown upon rocky ground, who when
they hear the word, immediately receive
it with joy; and they have no root in
themselves, but endure for a while; then,
persecution arises on account of the 
word, immediately they fall away."
(Mark 4:16 RSV)

Makes me wonder.  Is my religious or
spiritual talk, just talk.  Is there any 
depth to my confession?





No comments: