Thursday, May 24, 2012

LEARNING SOMETHING

It started off like this.
The granddaughter had a handful of books on my desk down in the shop office.
They had been there for several weeks.




Being the kind, loving, caring grandfather that I am,
it made sense to give her a place to put her books and "stuff" that she could call her very own.

She grasp that concept in an instant.

Of course concepts tend to grow.  The personal space became one of my two desks.
And of course one of the office chairs.


Then one of the computers became her own personal computer


Followed by one full shelf in my library.

And now the west wall of the shop office.


I must confess, 
when I am reading a book, or working at one of the computers.
And she is setting at HER desk,
 humming and singing -
doing what ever little girls do at desks.

Grandpa loves it.

But it makes me wonder.

How long will she let me share HER office with her?

Now she is almost 100% angel.

But is that the way we let the Devil take over?

Start with something small and innocent.
And it grows until it consumes too much of us.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh my goodness; how that did bring a smile to my face! I am one such "encroacher", remembering all too well how I delighted in playing in my Dad's basement office. Eventually he make a wood horse for me to ride; then a kitchen, complete with cabinets & table/chairs. I served him many a cup of tea :)

The parallel you draw is fabulous. I do provide waaaayyyyy too much room in my life for things that won't count in eternity; things like mindless TV viewing, or frittering away hours doing much of nothing.

Something tells me that little one of yours will never want to evict you from her space, OR her life :)

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

I think you've got a keeper Luther. In fact, why on earth would she WANT to leave, now that your space has been transformed into hers. :) What a joy for a grandpa's heart.

As to the devil and how he maneuvers from small to taking over? It's for sure he is working on us all the time. I love the verse that warns us to be 'wise as serpants and harmless as doves.' We have all the tools to out-maneuver him, but we sure have to stay aware, don't we? It's a life long tug of war, he wants more, we hold on tighter.

I like this one, a good reminder.