Friday, February 7, 2014

THEY ARE ALL WRONG


Confusion reigns.

Which is the correct method of Bible interpretation?

Grammatical
Dispensational
Covenantal
Literally
Historically
Midrash
Folklore

But us simple folks are not the only ones being confused.

G. Campbell Morgan, one of the greatest preachers of all time,
was all most ruined by too many books and too many of man's
ideas.  He was neglecting his Bible and learning the philosophies
of his day.  He was loosing his faith.

He said,

"In my despair I took all the books that I had, placed them in a cupboard, 
turned the key, and there they remained for seven years. I bought a new 
Bible, and began to read it with an open mind and a determined will. 
That Bible found me."

From there God begin to use him in a mighty way in England
and the United States.





The flyleaf of one of my old text books.
Just in case it makes any difference to you,
I am not a total stranger to this thing of Hermeneutics.


How about Bible study methods?

Devotionally
Summary
Character
Thematic
Biographically
Topical
Word study
Book background
Survey
Synthesis
Verse by verse
Allegorically
Analytically

I had a book one time entitled,
"Synthetic Bible Studies"
I never did find time to read it.
And, I have never regretted it.


I have quoted this before, 
but it bears repeating.

"We read the New Testament and we are so
intent on finding the hidden meanings behind
the facts that we forget to look at the facts
themselves!"

K.P. Yohannan
in his book
LIVING IN THE LIGHT OF ETERNITY
p.125



Is there a proper way to interpret the Bible.

You bet there is. 

The same way you would interpret a letter from 
your mother - or, any one else.  You take her at her word.  
If she includes a joke, you take it as a joke.  
If she includes a story, you read it as a story. 
 But you believe what she tells you.


NOW WHAT'S SO HARD ABOUT THAT?

Just pick up your Bible and read it like a letter.
Let it talk to you.  You will be better off for it.






2 comments:

Kathleen said...

It's just that simple, isn't it? So simple a child can read & comprehend God's word ~ often quicker than the "smart ones".

I've often said about my credentials: No B.A., no PhD, no Masters of anything. Frankly, my name's followed by: SbG = Saved by Grace.

Great thoughts here, Luther. Thank you!

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

This makes me smile Luther! You better believe it... there is a reason why God says 'if you want to know me, seek me', and we seek in the Word he has given us for that very purpose. He also says that Word will not return void. Why do we spend so much time seeing it from another human's eyes, one who has done his own searching and found it right where we do, in the Bible!! Amen brother!