Friday, November 9, 2012

FOOLED AGAIN



Photo courtesy of: www.freefoto.com

As I was sitting in the office the sound of a vehicle could be
heard coming up the drive.  As the SUV flashed by my widow
I  wondered why the wife came home.  She had left that
morning to house sit in town for a few days.  What was wrong?

There was no choice but to trudge up the hill to the house and
find out.  Nearing her car it was obvious the engine had been
left running.  She must have forgot something.  But that was a
long drive home for some item or other.

When I was a few feet from her car something looked strange.
It was a Buick.  Her vehicle is a Ford.  But it was the same 
color as hers.  It was the same shape.  And driven in the same 
way - in a hurry.   Instead it was someone to see the daughter.
All the way up the hill for nothing.
Fooled again.

But that is not the first time.
There are several extremely popular teachings or doctrines in 
the church today that I have believed or wanted to believe.
But they are wrong.

Their proponents can quote chapter and verse.  I did.
But they are wrong because they ignore the total teaching
of the Scriptures on the subject.  They present only one side
of the coin or facet of the diamond - the side we want to see.
This results in lopsided out of balance "truth".

The Scriptures tell us,
"Well, no wonder!  Even Satan can disguise himself to look
link an angel of light!."
(2 Corinthians 11:14 GNB)


I needed a closer look at the book.

"I tell you, then, do not let anyone deceive you
with false arguments, no matter how good they 
seem to be."
(Colossians 2:4 GNB) 



1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I love the adage: "Fool me one, shame on you. Food me twice, shame on me."

This I know: the closer I look at scripture, and the more time I spend with its author, the less likely I'll be swallowing the world's ways.

What a timely, poignant post!