Wednesday, January 2, 2013

HE WAS IN A RUSH

I read in a motorcycle magazine about an incident with one of their staff members. He was in a rush. Waiting for a traffic signal to change, he wanted to be first across the intersection. He would have been - if it were not for a negligent driver running the red light.

The motorcycle rider had,
the fastest reaction time,
the fastest vehicle,
the right of way,
and the broken leg.

King Saul was in a rush. He started to seek God's leading. But life came too fast and he said, "There's no time to consult the Lord!" -1 Samuel 14:19 (TEV)

That same impatience cost him the kingship. Becoming impatient earlier Saul offered a sacrifice he was not supposed to. God speaking through the prophet Samuel said, "But now your rule will not continue. Because you have disobeyed him, the Lord will find the kind of man he wants and make him ruler of his people." -1 Samuel 13:14 (TEV)
That was king David, "a man after God's own heart." David had learned not to be in a hurry with God, but to wait for him.

In the remainder of 1st Samuel and 2nd Samuel we see David constantly consulting God. And when in doubt reconsulting God. As the Psalmist, David mentions fifteen or twenty times the matter of waiting on God. [Depending on your version and it's word usage.]

I can relate to king Saul. And I can relate to the motorcyclist. But when will I ever learn to "wait on - or consult" the Lord?

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Never rely on what you think you know. Remember the Lord in everything you do, and he will show you the right way." -Proverbs 3;5,6 (TEV)
Have you ever got in a rush and missed the Lord's best??? Tell us about it. I don't want to be the only one that failed to wait.

3 comments:

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Luther:

It sounds to me like you ARE learning, and most of us learn much more slowly than we know we should. Thank God for His patient and loving heart toward His children.

I can think of many times when I've just consulted my own understanding and 'went with it'. The older I get the more I know I need to consult with Him on EVERYTHING! There is no down side to doing it all His way!

Great word, and the music was terrific!!

Kathleen said...

First off, I loved hearing "Amazing Grace" in the background as I read your post. Still so gripping after all these years.

I've had more than my fair share (if there is such a thing) of broken legs. It makes me think of the story about how a Shepherd trains the lambs NOT to wander or run off.

The Shepherd gently corrects the errant one, but if that doesn't work, they'll break the lamb's leg; then lift it upon their shoulder, and tenderly nurture it back to strength.

The lamb bonds deeply with the Shepherd that way, and learns to stay near the Shepherd's side. It is where they are safely content.

Something tells me you live in that proximity too.


P.S. I appreciate your prayers, and offer the same on behalf of you & yours!

Gwendolyn said...

I popped over here from Sassy Granny's post today because I like the your blog name and though..."hey, I could use some encouragement!"

Oh yes, I've jumped before the Lord too many times to count, especially in the area of what I say. But the Lord is very gracious to correct and teach...and yes, sometimes we suffer the consequences.

So many lessons from David's life but great thoughts today! Thank you!