Wednesday, November 6, 2019

TWO MORE FUNERALS



Perhaps one of the largest funerals I ever attended was of
a former coworker.  I worked with the man for about 23
years, so was pretty well acquainted with him.

This man was a sports fan through and through.  Apparently
most of his life all of his free time was spent either in sports
such as being a coach, umpire or fan.  Also he was well liked
both at work and in the community.

When I arrived for the funeral there simply was no parking
room.  So many people had come that I had to park at a 
distance from the funeral home.  And of course the building
was packed.  It was hard to find a place to sit.

During the funeral service all they could talk about was
sports.  This man's devotions to sports.  His family talked
about his love of sports.  Even the preacher that was 
officiating the service, all he could talk about was this 
man's love of sports.

But, what kept eating at me was the man ready for death?
In 23 years I never got any indication from the man that he
had any relationship to God.  Or that he had even pretended 
to serve or live for God in any way at all.  But I did know
 that he was an alcoholic.

I know, I did not know his heart.  I do not know if in his
last years he turned to God in anyway.  But for the best I knew,
while all these people were telling what a good man this 
guy had been - HE WAS NOW BURNING IN THE DEVIL'S
HELL.




Then, there was Jeanie's funeral.
We knew Jeanie and her husband for years.
They published a small Christian newspaper
in this area for years.  Both Jeanie and her 
husband lived to serve God.  If you could be 
around them the talk was going to be about living
 for God.  They loved God with all their hearts.
They had no children or family in this area.
But all of God's children were their family.

I went to Jeanie's funeral.  Circumstances as 
they were, her husband had to officiate her
funeral.  If I remember correctly, counting all
the guests, Jeanie's husband and the funeral home
employees, There was a total of nine of us at
Jeanie's funeral.

Sad.  Yes, that is, that Jeanie had passed away.
But all of us were able to rejoice because she 
was now with Jesus Christ, the God she served
in heaven.

You guess which of the two deceased I would 
choose to be if I were in their place.








No comments: