Friday, February 14, 2020

HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF





I am not smart by any means.  In fact I feel
embarrassed around truly smart intelligent
people.  But at times like that I try to keep
my mouth shut.  Why expose my ignorance
to them?

Consequently I want to spend some time 
trying to understand the writings of someone
who was truly smart - Solomon.  Maybe I 
can learn a little from him.

God gave Solomon more wisdom than any
person that ever lived, or will live.

[I know.  You and I both have friends and
neighbors who think they are the "SMARTEST"
thing that ever lived.]

So that puts me into what we call the book of
Ecclesiastes.
  
""Everything is meaningless," says the Teacher,
"completely meaningless!"
What do people get for all their hard work
under the sun?  Generations come and 
generations go, but the earth never changes."

"History merely repeats itself.  It has all been
done before."
(Ecclesiastes 1:1-4 and 9 NLT)

I am looking at it from a different vantage point
than you are.  I am old.  Really really old.  And
after looking back over a life of hard work I have
to agree with Solomon - what's the point?

Some day I will die and all that effort will
be lost, gone forever - that is in this material
world if that is all I have worked for.

But there is a realm that will last forever,
the Spiritual realm.  If I shift my focus from
the things of this material world to the world
or realm of the Spirit - everything changes.

Solomon comes to the conclusion at the end
of his book which we will probably look at
a number of times:

"That's the whole story.  Here now is my final
conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands,
for this is everyone's duty.  God will judge us
for everything we do, including every secret
thing, whether good or bad."
(Ecclesiastes 12:13,14 NLT)




No comments: