Sunday, October 10, 2021

HOW TO BE PERFECT



HOW TO BE PERFECT.

"Jesus told him, 'If you want to
be perfect, go and sell all your pos-
sessions and give the money to the 
poor, and you will have treasure in
heaven.  Then come, follow me."
(Matthew 19:21 NLT)

The Scriptures tell us that the young man
turned and left sorrowful because he had
many riches.

We also know from the teaching of the 
Scriptures, that unless he later changed
his mind and repented, he is in hell to 
this day sorrowful because he kept his
riches.

It boils down to this one thing in God's 
sight.  To be perfect in God's sight we 
give up everything and follow only after
Jesus.

The following Scripture hit me in a new
way by reading it in a newer version.
I have not been trying to accumulate riches,
but what about the material benefits I have
now?

"Look here, you rich people:
Weep and groan with anguish
because of all the terrible troubles
ahead of you.  Your wealth is rotting
away, and your fine clothes are
moth-eaten rags.  Your gold and 
silver are corroded.  The very wealth
you were counting on will eat away
your flesh like fire.  This corroded
treasure you have hoarded will testify
against you on the day of judgment."
(James 5:1-3 NLT)

God has permitted me, thought just an old
retired man with not much, to be living
very comfortably.  But what about the little
bit of material goods I have.  

From the above Scripture I have begin to 
realize that even the little material blessings
that I have available to me, if not used for 
God, will be counted against me on that 
great judgment day.

Therefore:
"Yet true godliness with contentment
is itself great wealth.  After all, we
brought nothing with us when we 
came into the world, and we can't
take anything with us when we leave
it.  So if we have enough food and
clothing, let us be content."
(1 Timothy 6:6-8 NLT)

has become my goal.

Is this why A.W. Tozer said:

“The man who has God for his 

treasure has all things in One.”




 

No comments: