Monday, April 6, 2020

TOO HEAVY TO WIN THE RACE



All my life I have been a "hot rodder" at heart.
I grew up in the 1940's and 50's.  That was back
when we took the fenders, hood and anything else
that was not needed off our old cars.

Why?
It was excess weight that would slow us down if
we were in a race - legal or other wise.  So, most
of my life my cars at least did not have extras on
them and all of my motorcycles have been stripped
down ready for a race.

Believe it or not, that is the attitude that God wants
us to have toward life.  The race of life that God
has set before us.  Consider;

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such 
a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, 
let us strip off every weight that slows us down,
 especially the sin that so easily trips us up. 
 And let us run with endurance the race God 
has set before us."
(Hebrews 12:1 NLT)

Or consider the apostle Paul and his attitude 
about keeping the Jewish law or the accumulating 
of worldly goods.

"I once thought these things were valuable,
but now I consider them worthless because
of what Christ has done.  Yes, everything else
is worthless when compared with the infinite
value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.  For
his sake I have discarded everything else, 
counting it all as garbage so that I could gain 
Christ and become one with him." 
(Philippians 3:7,8 NLT)

In another place Paul said;  

"So if we have enough food and clothing,
let us be content."  
(1 Timothy 6:8 NLT)

The more time, effort and expense we spend
in accumulating the things of the world, the
more weight we add to our lives slowing us
down in the race of life that really counts.  

That would be the reason that Jesus Christ
himself said;  

"Don't store up treasures here on earth,
where moths eat them and rust destroys them,
and where thieves break in and steal.  Store
your treasures in heaven, where moths and 
rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break
in and steal.  Wherever your treasure is, there
the desires of your heart will also be."  
(Matthew  6:19 - 21 NLT)




No comments: