Sunday, May 23, 2021

HOW LONG IS A GOOD PRAYER?




I am not sure what brought this thought on.
Perhaps it was because Sunday we had a visiting
preacher who would not stop talking.  His topic was
"wisdom".  I forget where his text was from.  It was
from somewhere in the Old Testament - but not in 
Proverbs.

He used the same text in the morning and the evening.
In the morning he "preached" for forty five minutes
and in the evening for a full hour.  But after all that
 "preaching" I never did figure out what his point was.

This only proves the Scripture:

"The more words you speak, the less
 they mean.  So what good are they?"
(Ecclesiastes 6:11 NLT)

But my thought is prayer, not preaching.
Let me tell you about one of the most effective
prayers I ever prayed in my life.

Pride got me into trouble.  I had bought a old
motorcycle off of a friend.  He had not been able
to get it started so I wanted to be able to brag about
getting it going real easy the next time I saw him.

I was over zealous with starting fluid and the
motorcycle backfired and caught number four
carburetor on fire.  The flames were licking up
around the gas tank which was about one half
full of gas.

I have had things like that happen on cars back
when they had carburetors.  I ether snuffed the
fire out with a rag, or have even blown the fire
out with my mouth.  But I could not do it with
this motorcycle.  I blew and only singed my eye
brows.  I beat with a rag and only got tired.

I finally spotted my fire extinguisher.  I grabbed
it, pulled the pin and pulled the trigger - NOTHING.
The fire extinguisher had simply set around to
long and had lost it pressure.

I thought about pushing the motorcycle outside
the shop and simply let it burn up.  But, my car
was setting just out side the shop door.  And if
I pushed it past my car it would go over the drive
way and roll down by the house.

I was getting desperate.  I was wearing out beating
the flames away from the tank when I prayed perhaps
the most effective prayer of my life at the top of my
voice:

"JESUS HELP ME."

and the fire went out just like that.

A really good prayer is three words long.

"When you pray, don't babble on
and on as the Gentiles do.  They
think their prayers are answered
merely by repeating their words
again and again.  Don't be like
them, for your Father knows exactly
what you need even before you ask
him!"
(Matthew 6:7,8 NLT)











 

No comments: