Saturday, February 24, 2018

JOY IN THE MIDST OF TROUBLE



Image courtesy of: www.Pixabay.com    


It has been rainy all week long.  A time when the arthritis
and a gloomy attitude want to take over.  A time of longing
for spring and some sunshine.

Yesterday when I was finishing up a project on a piece of 
equipment my wife pulled up to the shop door in her car
to speak to me.  About the time she rolled her window down
we both begin to smell something electrical burning.  At first
we did not know if it was the equipment I was working on,
or her car.  It was her car.

It ended up that the problem was the compressor for the 
air conditioning system had locked up.  This "fried" the
clutch [cause of the smell] and broke the serpentine belt.
"O joy"  That was a play on words.  That was anything but
good news to me.

I have the equipment to repair it.  But, I burned out on
working on cars twenty years ago.  That was not a task
I was looking forward to.  I wanted a break from problems.

However,  last evening I noted something.  A joy, a real
honest to goodness joy was springing up in me.  Not 
something put on trying to put on a happy face and pretend
that everything will get better.  But a real joy or happiness
that I did not have to generate.  I knew what it was, I have
experienced it before.  We call it the joy of the Holy Spirit.

This joy that comes from God himself does not come from
going to church, or joining a church, or having the correct
doctrine or theology, saying a certain pray, or doing some
ritual, but simply being in relationship to God himself.

When we yield ourselves to Jesus Christ and have him
come in and take over our life his Spirit - the Holy Spirit -
moves into our life and that is the source of the joy that
springs up in us when things are tough.

That joy has strengthened me and given me the confidence
to dig into this problem - ready or not.

Thank you Jesus.













No comments: