Wednesday, January 19, 2022

LIFE'S VALLEYS



In your Christian experience you might live on
a mountain top where the sun is always shining,
the temperature is always correct and the birds always
singing.

But, I don't.
And I would bet that you do not either.  I have times
that I feel like God and I are close buddies.  Then the
next day I wonder where he went.  What is wrong with
me?  [Or you.]

I recently got a book on the life of David Brainerd.
It is largely based on his Diary, not some one writing
about him.  You probably know that David Brainerd
possibly tried to walk closer to God than any man
alive since the Apostle Paul.  True he was of a frail
nature, but he wore himself out in service to God and
died at an early age of only 30 years old.

Thus far, the thing in the book that is the most
encouraging to me is the fact that even this man
who tried to make every minute count for God,
had discouraging hours and days wondering if 
God had forsaken him.  WOW! even him.

Madam Guyon the celebrated French Mystic
who was one of the greatest Christian leaders
of all time even had her "down times".  If I 
remember correctly she went through a period
of time for seven years wondering if or why
God had abandoned her.

I am simply saying that even the best of Christians
have their low periods of time.  Consider the Psalmist:

"O LORD, how long will you forget me?  Forever?
How long will you look the other way?
How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul,
with sorrow in my heart every day?
How long will my enemy have the upper hand?
Turn and answer me, O LORD my God!
Restore the sparkle to my eyes, or I will die."
(Psalms 13:1 - 3 NLT)

"Therefore, since we are surrounded
by such a huge crowd of witnesses to 
the life of faith, let us strip off every
weight that slows us down, especially
the sin that so easily trips us up.  And
let us run with endurance the race God
has set before us."
(Hebrews 12:1 NLT)







 

No comments: