Sunday, February 21, 2021

DOING GREAT THINGS FOR GOD.

 


You probably know the story as well as I do.
We call it "the mount of Transfiguration".
Several things stand out to me in this event.
One is that as happened so often Jesus took with him
Peter, James and John.  It seems that these guys were
especially close to Jesus.  That is the way we "ought"
to be.  But lets look at it more closely.  After Jesus was
Transfigured before them with His face shinning like the
sun and his clothes glistening white;

"Peter said to Jesus, 'Lord, it is good for us to be here;
if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one
for you, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.'  While
he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadows them,
and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, 'This is My
beloved Son, with who I am we pleased; listen to 
Him!'" ------
"And lifting up their eyes, they saw no one except Jesus
Himself alone." 
(Matthew 17:4,5 & 8 NASB)

Now I can relate to that.  When they realized that they
were there "with God himself in the flesh" they were
awe struck.  They were like you and I.  What can I do
for you Lord.  Can I make something for you.  Can I 
bake a cake for you, can I etc., etc., etc.

Peter wanted to build buildings for Jesus, Moses and 
Elijah.  He wanted to do something great for God.
But God the Father spoke right out of a cloud to the
disciples and in essence said, "Listen to Jesus."

 It is easier for most of us to "do something" for 
God than it is to pay attention to what he is trying
to tell us.

One other point.
After God the Father spoke there was only Jesus left.
Perhaps the two greatest prophets that ever walked the
face of the earth, Moses and Elijah were no longer seen.

The point is;
forget Dr. Know-it-all or Dr. Loudmouth, or some
other famous person.

LISTEN TO JESUS.







No comments: