Monday, September 18, 2017

WHAT HAPPENED TO CHRISTIAN DISCIPLESHIP????



Images courtesy of:www.Pixabay.com   

I am not real smart.  I do not even have a "Dr." in front of
my name.  [That does mean "Driver" or "Drag race" doesn't
it?  Or, dry, drought etc.?]  But I do have the ability to read,
and especially observe.  Now that is where the trouble comes.

As a professed Christian reading a lot, ESPECIALLY, my 
Bible is a big part of the game.  And in it learning that I am to 
be a follower of Christ. That is what a disciple is.  One who 
follows Christ's example and teaching. 

 However, of the things Christ is teaching, only
a few are being followed.  It appears that we can pick and
chose what we want to follow.  We are happy to take the 
name "Christian" and even wear a cross on a chain [If it is 
nice and shinny].  Also, to accept all the blessing God will 
pour out on us.

But let's start at the beginning.  That is Christ himself.
You know - OUR EXAMPLE.

Jesus Christ is the very creator of the universe.  He is
the one who keeps the material universe going.  His 
glory, power and position are beyond our comprehension.
BUT,
he gave it all up to become a man and die in our place
and save our souls - if we will accept that sacrifice.

Even while here on earth he had nothing.
Christ said about himself;

"Foxes have holes, and birds have nests,
but the Son of Man has no place to lie
down and rest."
(Luke 9:58 GNT)  

Did you catch that?
Our leader.  Our teacher.  The one we are to
learn from did not even have a bed of his 
owen.  He only had the cloths on his back.

What did Christ himself say about discipleship?

"You cannot be my disciple, unless you love me
more than you love your father and mother, your
wife and children, and your brothers and sisters."
...
"You cannot be my disciple unless you carry 
your own cross and come with me.
...
"So then, you cannot be my disciple unless
you give away everything you own."
(Luke 14:26, 27. 33 GNT)

How did his first disciples, Simon, James and 
John understand this?


"The men pulled their boats up on shore.
Then they left everything and went with 
Jesus."
(Luke 5:11 GNT)

Or, how about Levi, the tax collector setting in
his office?


"Levi left everything and went with Jesus."
(Luke 5:28 GNT)

How about ourselves???

What I see does not match the example and
teaching of Christ himself.


No comments: