Wednesday, March 11, 2020

AMAZING GRACE


AMAZING GRACE.

What is that?
The more I consider the word "grace" the fonder of it I 
become.  I realize that it is only by the "grace" of God 
that I am alive today.

One of my favorite books of the Bible is the book of 
Philippians.  The Apostle uses the word grace several
times.  He starts using it in Chp. 1:2; "Grace to you..."
and verse 7, "...you are all partakers of grace with me."
All together he uses the word grace three times in this 
short epistle.

This got me curious, Paul seems to use the word grace 
a lot so I counted the times Paul use the word grace in 
his epistles.  Now I rarely us the King James Version
anymore.  But it was easiest for me to fine out how many
times he used the word grace in that version.  If I counted
correctly, Paul use the word grace in his various epistles
89 times.  WOW!  He must like it too.

But what is grace?
James Strong tells us that the Greek word is "charis"
meaning "... benefit, favor, gift, ..."  Or as Webster 
says it; "1. Favor, kindness, mercy ..."  Do you get 
the picture?

Is it any wonder then the Paul in one of his other
books says;

"God saved you by his grace when you believed.
And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift
from God.  Salvation is not a reward for the 
good things we have done, so none of us can
boast about it.  For we are God's masterpiece.
He created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can
do the good things he planned for us long ago."
(Ephesians 2:8-10 NLT)

"Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see."

No comments: