Wednesday, March 18, 2020

REAPING WHAT YOU SOW



You may recall from an earlier post that the Apostle
Paul wrote the Philippians Epistle around A.D. 61.
while in prison at Rome.

As you can imagine scholars do not agree on Pauls
age at death.  But it is estimated that he was about
60 to 68 years old when he died.

So we have Paul in prison at Rome as an old man
probably facing his execution when he writes;

"For to me, living means living for Christ,
and dying is even better.  But if I live, I can
do more fruitful work for Christ.  So I
really don't know which is better.  I'm torn
between two desires: I long to go and be
with Christ,  which would  be far better for
me.  But for your sakes, it is better that I
continue to live."  
(Philippians 1:21 - 23 NLT)

Why would he "long to go and be with Christ,
which would be far better for me."?

Real simple.
Paul knows that we do not receive our rewards for
serving Christ until we die and leave this old world.
However,
he also knows that the longer he serves Christ here
on earth, the greater the reward.  You know, the 
more service, the more reward.  

Even Jesus Christ himself said;

"And if you give even a cup of cold water to
one of the least of my followers, you will surely
be rewarded."  
(Matthew 10:42 NLT)

Two other references Paul makes about this thing
of serving Christ.  One from his Epistle to the 
Churches of Galatia and the other from the Epistle
to the Church at Corinth.

"Don't be misled - you cannot mock the 
justice of God.  You will always harvest what
you plant.  Those who live only to satisfy their
own sinful nature will harvest decay and death
from that sinful nature.  But those who live to
please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life
from the Spirit."   
(Galatians 6:7,8 NLT)

And

"So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong
and immovable.  Always work enthusiastically
for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do
for the Lord is ever useless."  
(1 Corinthians 15:58 NLT). 








No comments: